Special Events Coordinator
The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House (PRMH)—the world’s first Ronald McDonald House—is seeking an energetic and compassionate individual for the position of Special Events Coordinator. This job will begin as a part-time position (24-34 hours per week) with the possibility of becoming a full-time position by the end of the year. This position reports directly to the Director of Events & Corporate Development.
About The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House
The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House (PRMH) supports families of seriously ill children by creating a community of comfort and hope. Founded in 1974, we are the model for 365 Houses around the globe.
Our programs include two Ronald McDonald Houses, Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, and Ronald McDonald Camp.
Between our two House locations, we serve up to 65 families each night. Our Houses offer comfortable rooms and an array of other services, as well as the support of other families who understand what it is like to have a seriously ill child. Our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms offer a respite space away from the bedside to families with children receiving treatment at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. Each August, our one-week overnight Ronald McDonald Camp—located in the Poconos—provides the opportunity for over to 200 children with cancer and their siblings to experience the joys of summer camp.
Each year, Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Philadelphia Region provides 10 percent of our overall operating budget; the remaining 90% is raised through individual, corporate, and foundation support. To learn more, visit www.philarmh.org.
About the Special Events Coordinator Position
The Special Events Coordinator helps to advance the PRMH mission by supporting the work of the Development Department. This position reports to the Director of Events & Corporate Development.
The Special Events Coordinator provides broad support for PRMH events, including but not limited to event logistics, rentals and contracts, working with volunteer committees, invitations and programs, decorations, seating, signage, as well as soliciting and coordinating silent and live auctions. PRMH key events include the Read for the House program, CBS 3 CW Philly Change the Luck of a Child Phone Bank, Plane Pull, Hit ‘em for the House golf & tennis, Champions of Hope Awards, Show Your Stripes, Share A Night, and Adopt-A-Room. The Special Events Coordinator also assists with the tab collection program, 3rd party fundraisers, and donor events. They are also responsible for providing tours of the facilities to donors and representing PRMH at community speaking engagements.
The Special Events Coordinator must have excellent verbal and written communications skills and a deep understanding of donor-centered communications. The individual in this role must also be able to balance multiple projects; meet deadlines while exuding a positive attitude; work independently; and be a team player willing to help wherever is needed. The Special Events Coordinator must be willing to work flexible hours including nights and weekends supporting events.
• Work closely with the Events Mangers to coordinate all aspects of fundraising events which include the confirmation of participants and vendors prior to the event, on-site management, and post-event follow-up
• Manage event logistics, such as venue, rentals (e.g. A/V, tent) and contracts
• Help the Event Manager solicit and manage silent and live auctions: solicit donations, create packages, develop minimum bids and create bid sheets, acknowledge and recognize donors, track items, produce needed reports and paperwork, work with a volunteer committee
• Communicate volunteer needs for events and collaborate with the Volunteer Director
• Work with the Volunteer Director on managing volunteers, staff and others with event set up and day-of operations
• Serve as the liaison for third-party fundraisers
• Assist with monthly and quarterly events such as informational breakfasts and corporate board meetings
• Main coordinator of the PRMH tab collection program and the in-kind ticket program for PRMH families
• Responsible for providing tours of the facility to donors and representing PRMH at community speaking engagements
• Help manage event information in the Raisers Edge database and the DonorDrive fundraising platform
• Maintain a positive and welcoming attitude
• Provide service above and beyond what stakeholders of PRMH anticipate
• Be compassionate while maintaining clear boundaries
• Be an active, contributing member of the PRMH Team
• Be willing to pitch in and help in areas that do not fall directly within your position’s responsibilities
• Bachelor’s degree
• 2+ years of events, nonprofit or related experience
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Ability to build and foster relationships with individuals with a variety of ages, backgrounds and experiences through a variety of targeted messages
• Ability to multi-task successfully
• Excellent computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office products
• Knowledge of social media and related strategies
• Working knowledge of the Raiser’s Edge and the Raiser’s Edge modules (i.e. Friends Asking Friends) a plus
• Attitude of continual improvement
• Experience in and aptitude for effectively working with volunteers
• High energy and passion for the PRMH mission
• Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle
Send cover letter and resume to HR@philarmh.org or Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House, Attn: Human Resources, 3925 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.