Part-Time Social Worker
The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House (PRMH)—the world’s first Ronald McDonald House—is seeking an energetic and compassionate individual for the position of social worker for our Chestnut Street House located at 3925 Chestnut Street. This part-time position reports directly to the Director of Operations.
About The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House
The Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House (PRMH) supports families of seriously ill children by creating a community of comfort and hope. Founded in 1974, we are the model for 365 Houses around the globe.
Our programs include two Ronald McDonald Houses, Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, and Ronald McDonald Camp.
Between our two House locations, we serve up to 65 families each night. Our Houses offer comfortable rooms and an array of other services, as well as the support of other families who understand what it is like to have a seriously ill child. Our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms offer a respite space away from the bedside to families with children receiving treatment at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. Each August, our one-week overnight Ronald McDonald Camp—located in the Poconos—provides the opportunity for over to 200 children with cancer and their siblings to experience the joys of summer camp.
About the Part-time Social Worker Position
The primary function of the social worker is to provide supportive services to families staying at the Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House. The social worker will work collaboratively with all hospital staff to best support families during their stay and connect families to organizations that provide financial assistance and other needed services.
Key functional accountabilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide support to families staying at the House.
- Listen to families and offer ongoing support as needed.
- Provide a supportive and culturally competent environment to the diverse families, children, staff, and volunteers at PRMH.
- Connect families to needed resources.
- Communicate with hospital social workers on an ongoing basis to take referrals and get medical updates.
- Ensure that families are abiding by House rules and policies to ensure the safety of everyone in the House.
- Facilitate the weekly parent support group.
- Participate in weekly operations meetings.
- Take room requests.
- Complete check in’s for new families and/or non-English speaking families.
- Ensure that families are comfortable with House, staff, and interpreter services.
- Assist families with participating in fun events for patients and siblings.
- Complete all documentation accurately and timely.
- Some availability on nights, weekends and holidays is required.
- Demonstrates competence in providing social work services, including parent support groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to understand medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish
- 2 – 5 years of experience, preferably in a medical setting or providing social services to families with medical or developmental needs.
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team.
Please submit a cover letter and a detailed resume through Indeed.com.