Ronald McDonald Houses
Our two Ronald McDonald Houses offer temporary lodging and an array of supportive services, just minutes from the hospital and at little cost to the families themselves.
- In 2014, we served 1,335 unique families for 2,194 total family stays
- We could not accommodate 3,241 families because we were full
- Average length of stay was 9.87 days; 172 stays were longer than 30 days, 76 stays were longer than 60 days, and 38 stays were longer than 90 days
- Longest consecutive length of stay was 365 days
- Served families from 44 states and 18 countries and two U.S. territories
- 35% were from PA and 22% were from NJ
- 4.1% of stays were from the surrounding five-county region in PA
- While we ask for a donation of $15 per night, it costs the House more than $102.73 per family per night to provide lodging and supportive services; no one is ever turned away due to inability to pay and half of families have their fees waived or reduced
|Top Hospitals by Stay|
|The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia||48%|
|St. Christopher's Hospital for Children||22%|
|Top Service Departments by Stay|
Ronald McDonald Family Rooms
Our two Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, located on the Oncology and Cardiology Units at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, extend the comfort and support of our Houses into the hospital by offering quiet and comfortable respite spaces where families can rest and regroup away from the bedside.
- Serve 98 patient rooms each day
- 9% of families who used the Family Rooms in 2014 also stayed at our Houses
- 30% of families who used the Family Rooms in 2014 were local families who live closer than 25 miles away, making them ineligible to stay at our Houses
- 95% of families agreed that the Family Rooms helped them maintain their well-being while their child was in the hospital.
Our Hospitality Kiosk, opened in March of 2013, provides complimentary healthy snacks, beverages, and other amenities to families with children on the critical care units of St. Christopher's Hospital for Children.
- Serves 73 patient rooms each day
- Kiosk was accessed 3,035 times by 1,525 families in 2014
- 100% of families agreed that the Kiosk made it easier to access healthy food and beverages while in the hospital.
Ronald McDonald Camp
Our one-week overnight Ronald McDonald Camp - located in the Poconos - provides the opportunity for children with cancer and their siblings to experience the joys of summer camp each August.
- Served 205 campers (139 patient campers, 66 sibling campers) from 138 unique families in 2014
- 101 Junior Campers (age 7 to 12) and 92 Senior Campers (age 13 to 17)
- 12 Counselors in Training
- 59 new Campers from 46 new families
- 117 Volunteers (101 Counselors and 16 Volunteer Medical Staff)
- 64% of Campers came from Pennsylvania and 32% came from New Jersey
- 62% of Campers were from the surrounding seven-county region (Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware, Philadelphia, Burlington, Chester, and Camden counties)
- 99% of parents agreed that Camp has a positive impact on their child's well-being
- 99% of parents would recommend Camp to other families with children with cancer
- 99% of parents agreed that Ronald McDonald Camp has helped their child build confidence and become more independent