2016 Facts and Figures
Ronald McDonald Houses
Our two Ronald McDonald Houses offer temporary lodging and an array of supportive services, just minutes from the hospital and at little to no cost to the families themselves.
- In 2016, we served 1,427 unique families for 2,355 total family stays.
- We could not accommodate 5,547 family requests because we were full.
- The average length of stay was 8.8 days; 161 stays were longer than 30 days, 59 stays were longer than 60 days, and 37 stays were longer than 90 days.
- Longest consecutive length of stay was 266 days
- We served families from 45 states, 19 countries, and 1 U.S. territory.
- 32% were from PA and 19% were from NJ.
- 2.4% of stays were from the surrounding five-county region in PA.
While we ask for a donation of $15 per night, it costs the House $48 per family per night to provide lodging and supportive services; no one is ever turned away due to inability to pay and many families have their fees waived or reduced.
|Top Hospitals by Stay|
|Top Departments by Stay|
Breakdown of Key Stats by House
|Category||Chestnut Street||Front & Erie||Combined|
|Average Length of Stay||12.6 days||4.7 days||8.8 days|
|Longest Stay||266 days||116 days||266 days|
|Stays Greater than 30 Days||140||21||161|
|Stays Greater than 60 Days||55||4||59|
|Stays Greater than 90 Days||36||1||37|
|Top Hospitals by Stay||CHOP 94%|
CHOP/Wills Eye 3%
Wills Eye 2%
St. Christopher's 37%
St. Christopher's 18%
|Top Departments by Stay||Oncology 29%|
Of Families Surveyed
- 97% agreed that staying at the House made it easier to access treatment
- 97% agreed that staying at the House helped reduce their stress levels
- 99% agreed that staying at the House helped them maintain their wellbeing
- 99% agreed that staying at the House allowed them to spend more time by their child’s side
RONALD MCDONALD FAMILY ROOMS
Our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, located on the Oncology and Cardiology Units at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, extend the comfort and support of our Houses into the hospital by offering quiet and comfortable respite spaces where families can rest and regroup away from the bedside.
• Serve 98 patient rooms each day
• 90% of families agreed that the Family Rooms are a valuable resource during a difficult time
Our Hospitality Kiosk, opened in March of 2013, provides complimentary healthy snacks, beverages, and other amenities to families with children on the critical care units of St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.
- Serves 73 patient rooms each day
- Kiosk was accessed 1,988 times by 995 families in 2016
- 100% of families agreed that the Kiosk made it easier to access healthy food and beverages while in the hospital
RONALD MCDONALD CAMP
Our one-week overnight Ronald McDonald Camp—located in the Poconos—provides the opportunity for children with cancer and their siblings to experience the joys of summer camp each August.
- Served 245 campers (165 patient campers, 80 sibling campers) from 165 unique families
- 101 Junior Campers (Age 7 to 12) and 130 Senior Campers (Age 13 to 17)
- 9 Leaders in Training (LITs) and 5 Counselors in Training (CITs)
- 69 new Campers from 51 new families
- 135 Volunteers (including 18 Volunteer Medical Staff)
- 65% of campers came from Pennsylvania and 33% came from New Jersey
- 53% of campers were from the surrounding five-county region in Pennsylvania
- 97% of parents agreed that Camp has a positive impact on their child’s wellbeing
- 99% of parents would recommend Camp to other families with children with cancer
- 96% of parents agreed that Ronald McDonald Camp has helped their child build confidence and become more independent